Skylights are day lighting solutions, installed to reduce electricity bills and safeguard the environment. Structural skylight fabrication is getting advanced day by day because of the Technological Revolution and the huge demand for designer skylights.
There are various other benefits and features of skylights, such as:
- Motor Control Options
- Temperature Control Settings
- Hurricane Resistant Glass
- Rain Sensors
- Remote Control Options
- Skylight Shades for privacy
- Saves money by reducing electricity bills
- Causes zero pollution
- Helps individuals to connect with nature
- Natural light increases productivity and creativity
Directions to Install
The following are the things to know to install Skylights at home:
- The individual needs to find a location where he wishes to install the skylight. The location might need adjustments to properly fit the solar tube. The concept is simple- allow sunlight through a roof (window) into a reflective tube, into the space. With an electric drill, he then needs to drill holesthrough the ceiling drywall and into the attic space. Pass a wire through it.
- The individual then needs to mark points at the underside of the roof. Avoid hip and valley rafters, where two planes of the roof come together (angle the skylight accordingly). Screw through the underside with an electric drill to mark the area, where the individual has to cut a hole for the skylight. Avoid electrical wires as well as plumbing elements too.
- Take the solar dome and the flashing, a crayon, a utility knife, roof sealant, caulking gun, tape measure, reciprocating saw and screws; place the flashing over the screw on the roof. Trace inside the flashing with a crayon and carefully cut the shingles outside the line with a utility knife. Then, flip the flashing upside down and trace the inner circumference. Cut a hole around the outside edge with the reciprocating saw.
- Caulk the underside of the flashing with the roof sealant. Then, slip the flashing under the shingles and leave it on the bottom to extend on top of the shingles below the flashing unit. The flashing needs to be fasten with screws and the screw heads need to be coated with the roof sealant.
- The individual, then needs to measure the roof to the attic floor length with a tape measure to get the total length of the tube. Then, with an aluminum tape, he needs to tape around the seams of the tube and secure two parts with extra screws. The top tube needs to be dropped through the flashing then.
- A light deflector needs to be inserted to redirect the sunlight down, so that it faces south, the best direction to catch the maximum amount of sunlight. A dome is placed over the flashing and screwed (avoid over-tightening).
- He needs to draw a circle with the help of a compass (same as a solar tube) at the holes in the ceiling of the living space. Then, cut to the edge of the circle with a jab saw.
- Measure the exact distance from roof to the attic and attach the top and bottom tubes together. The seams of the tube can be sealed with an aluminum tube and with a brayer roller, it can be evenly adhered to the seams. Attached the top and bottom tube together (adjust tube lengths to the current length). Permanently fix the tube in place with drywall screws.
- Pile seal is used to create an expansion joint to allow adjustment to heat and prevent bugs from getting inside. It is used to wrap the outside tube and the tube is then inserted in the hole. Adjust the angle to line up the tube sections. Once it is in place, seal the last seam.
- Tuck the zip ties into the ceiling and cinch it tightly. Secure it with screws and trim so they’re flush. Pull off the film coating and the skylight is perfectly installed to allow skylight in the living space.
Skylight Orange County offers skylight installation and skylight repair services in USA. There are manyother manufacturers which deals in amazing skylight designs with out-of-the-world features, giving the place architectural feel and expression.
Be Creative! Do It Your Self!